Communication Disorders Minor (Speech Therapy)
This is a joint program between Bethany Lutheran College and Minnesota State University, Mankato. While remaining full-time students at Bethany majoring in communication, students take some needed courses, including a full semester (fall of junior year) at Minnesota State University, Mankato. If successful, students graduate from Bethany Lutheran College in four years with a bachelor of arts degree in communication, and a minor in communication disorders, which can qualify them to apply for admission to master’s degree programs in communication disorders at a variety of graduate schools. A graduate degree is required to practice in this field.
Along with fulfilling requirements for a communication major at Bethany, students take the following courses at Minnesota State University, Mankato (MSU). MSU offers courses F=Fall, S=Spring, and B=Both. See MSU Academic Catalog for course descriptions.
- Introduction to Communication Disorders (S)(F)
- Speech and Hearing Science (F) Prerequisite: College Math
- Speech and Language Development (F)
- Anatomy and Physiology of Speech (F)
- Basic Audiology (S), Prerequisite: Speech and Hearing Science
- Phonetics (F)
Junior and Senior years (recommended):
- Voice and Resonance Disorders (S)
- Child Language Disorders Lecture and Lab (F)
- Appraisal and Diagnosis (F)
- Stuttering (S)
- Speech Sound Disorders (F)
American Sign Language is recommended to fulfill the non-English language requirement.