HYMNS ON THE PASSION
which can be used in the congregations during Lent
at the weekly service and on Days of Prayer
according to the custom of each place
[by Thomas Kingo]
[from the Gradual of 1699]
[Translation © Mark
DeGarmeaux unless noted]
Return to Mark DeGarmeaux's home page
E-mail me for permission to use or
to comment on translation and suggest improvements
- Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary home page
(ELH has 16 hymns by Thomas Kingo)
O come, let us worship
(A Study in Lutheran Liturgy and Hymnody by M. DeGarmeaux) (107k)
The Path of Understanding -- The Development
of Lectionaries and their use in the Lutheran Church (by the Rev.
- St. Peter's Weeping and Conversion
- VELDER UD I ØYNE-STRØMME* 
- tune: previous tune
- 1 Pouring forth with tears of sadness
- Flowing down in hope sincere
- Never judged to Satan's gladness,
- Here in this sad vale of tears.
- Sadly, weeping from my eyes
- From sin's debt my spirit flies
- For my sinfulness still grieving
- Till my heart itself is bleeding.
- 2 Oh, tonight with guilt I'm given
- Threat of hell as my reward
- Since by terror I was driven
- To deny my God and Lord!
- But my Saviour looked at me,
- Eyes all filled with sympathy;
- Full of mercy, grace, and favor
- Was that glance from my dear Savior.
- 3 Once to hell-fire I was falling
- Now I rush with quenching flood
- By my God's most gracious calling
- And His mighty Spirit good-
- Though my eyes with sorrow fill,
- Never, never ceasing still
- Yet each day that I am living
- Still for one night's sin I'm grieving.
- 4 Once I walked upon the water
- And thus to my Jesus came;
- Now my sins did all things alter,
- Still I call upon His name.
- On a salty sea of tears
- I shall walk till death me nears
- All my joy and all my gladness
- Shall be my repentant sadness.
- 5 Jesus, grant illumination,
- On my heart imprint so well
- Peter's fall and restoration
- That I ever mark them well.
- May Thy gracious pardoning Word
- Never by my sins be blurred;
- May Thy grace be e'er revealing
- Full forgiveness, perfect healing.
- 6 Though I wretchedly am sinning
- Such as never seen before,
- And though Satan is beginning
- Still to tempt me more and more,
- I will turn to Christ, my Lord
- For His strength and pardoning Word;
- E'en when Satan's wiles do test me,
- In His grace I gladly rest me.
- 7 Daily is my spirit striving
- In this unclean 'bode of death
- Therefore I will e'er be striving
- That I may in steadfast faith
- Follow Peter's faithful end
- Washed, renewed, in faith to stand
- That I may my soul be cleansing
- In the blood of Jesus rinsing.
- 8 Jesus, grant me tears and sighing,
- Penitence for my disgrace.
- Let Thy Spirit, my heart plying
- With the mirror of Thy grace,
- Grant me comfort for my need,
- Since Thou once for me didst bleed.
- Let my final tears and mourning
- Cease with heaven's joyous morning.
Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org