Associate Professor - Studio Art
Office: Milton Tweit Hall 108
Message: Send web message
Courses Recently Taught
3 Dimensional Design
American Art History
Art Theory and Criticism
Contemporary Issues in Art
- Master of Fine Arts, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1998
- Master of Arts, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1997
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1990
- Minneapolis College of Art & Design, Minneapolis, MN, 1983-1986
Eric Ouren is native of the Upper Midwest, having lived in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. Ouren’s sculptural background is primarily that of carving in wood, where most of his public work has been folk chainsaw stump carvings and other chainsaw pieces. Since 2006 Ouren has been building stringed instruments with a focus on the banjo. As of 2012 he has built over 50 instruments.
- Bust of Beethoven Stump Carving for Lori & Arden Enter, Nicollet, MN, 2009
- Memorial Crucifix for the Bukowski Family, Mankato, MN, 2006
- Academic Mace, Bethany Lutheran College, Mankato, MN, 2003
- Large-scale chess and checkers set by Friends of German Park for German Park in New Ulm, MN, 2000
Faith and Vision: Twenty-Five Years of Christians in The Visual Arts, edited by Cameron J. Anderson and Sandra Bowden, p. 65.
- Faculty, Bethany Lutheran College, Mankato, MN, 2001-present
- Adjunct Faculty, Bethany Lutheran College, Mankato, MN, 2000-2001
- Adjunct Faculty, Minnesota State University-Mankato, Mankato, MN, 2000
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1999-2000
- Sabbatical Replacement, Bethel College, St. Paul, MN, 1999
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1998
- Ouren serves on the Ceremonies Committee
Ouren has served as a juror for the Mankato CityArt Sculpture Walking Tour since 2011, as well as juror for several high school art shows, including the Western Iowa Salon Exhibition at Buena Vista University in Storm Lake, Iowa, Shattuck-St. Mary’s in Faribault, Minnesota, and the regional Water Is Life Contest, held in Mankato, Minnesota.
Eric and his wife, Storm, live in Kasota in an ongoing house renovation project with two dogs. He has two teenage children.