Associate Professor - Religious Studies
Office: Memorial Library 115
Message: Send web message
Courses Recently Taught
- B.S. Elementary Education, Dr. Martin Luther College, New Ulm, Minnesota, 1980
- M.Div., Bethany Lutheran Theological Seminary, Mankato, Minnesota, 1985
- S.T.M., Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, Wisconsin, 2000, Concentration in Old Testament exegesis
- Further study in Norwegian, German, Latin, and Hebrew
Religion, Music, Languages (Norwegian, Danish, Latin, German, Hebrew), Norwegian culture
Mark DeGarmeaux grew up on a farm in southwest Wisconsin. He married Rebecca (Krueger) in 1984.
- Scandinavian-American hymnody, history, church history, culture
- Old Testament (Hebrew language)
- NORTANA (Norwegian Teachers Association of North America)
- Sons of Norway
- American Guild of Organists
- Evangelical Lutheran Synod Historical Society
- Minnesota Valley Chorale (former singer/soloist)
- Taught college level: organ, piano, Religion, Norwegian, Latin, hymnody
- Church organist (part-time, 1981-1984, 1995-present)
- Pastor (1985-1995, northeast Iowa)
- Evangelical Lutheran Synod worship committee
- Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary (co-editor)
- Book of Family Prayer (translator)
- Katie Luther (translator, forthcoming)
- Luther’s Works (translations in recent additional volumes)
- Truth unto Godliness (translator) Pontoppidan’s catechism explanation
- “With Tears of Anguish I Lament” for Solo and SATB choir
- Articles on Old Testament, worship, church history, explore website
- Workshops for amateur church organists in smaller parishes
- U. V. Koren (founder of Luther College)
Mark serves Bethany's campus as assistant chapel organist and has served on boards of Sons of Norway and Minnesota Valley Chorale.
Foods of various cultures. In 2012 I am baking 50 different types of raised breads.
I believe in active learning. I try to connect movement with learning when possible. I also believe in the interconnectedness of learning, trying to relate various fields of study with each other.