Parking Services and Regulations
For security assistance dial 888 (off-campus dial 507-344-7888).
Table of Contents
- Parking Services
- General Information
- Registration of All Motor Vehicles
- Parking Permits
- Short-Term Visitor Parking (no permit required)
- Long-Term Visitor Parking (Overnight Guest Permit required)
- 10-Minute Parking Requirements
- Special Parking Requests
- Bus and Trailer Parking Prohibited
- Event Parking
- Parking Information
Operating and parking a motor vehicle on the Bethany Lutheran College campus is a privilege extended by the College. Bethany Lutheran College students, faculty and staff are asked to support and help enforce the following parking rules and regulations to ensure that all groups, including our guests, have available safe parking. Violations of the rules and regulations can result in a citation, suspension or revocation of the privilege to drive and park on Bethany grounds. Bethany Lutheran College assumes no responsibility for damage to or loss of any vehicle or its contents at any time it is operated or parked on the campus. All persons who operate a motor vehicle on campus are expected to comply with these rules and regulations.
If you have questions regarding our parking program, please contact the Manager of Security Services at (507) 344-7889.
All employees and students in attendance at Bethany Lutheran College must register their vehicle with the college. Vehicle registration for students is required each academic year even if you choose not to purchase a student parking permit.
You must also register your vehicle anytime new license plates or a new vehicle is obtained. If you have a new vehicle and are waiting for your permanent license plates, there is no need to delay registration. Please see the Business Office for assistance.
(New students may access the web as soon as they are given their username and password.) The Vehicle Registration Form may also be obtained from the Business Office (Old Main 211) or Campus Security (Old Main 115).
Information required at the time of registration includes: motor vehicle license plate number and state, vehicle make, model, color, and contact information.
All students are required to register their vehicle by the first day of scheduled classes each semester. If you obtain a new car or license plates during the academic year, please complete a Vehicle Registration Form immediately and turn it into the Business Office by the next business day. If you are seeking oncampus parking privileges after hours or on a weekend for a new vehicle, please call Campus Security for assistance; (507) 344-7888. Failure to register a vehicle will result in a $100 fine. Permits cannot be issued unless the vehicle has been registered and all outstanding parking fines have been paid. Once a vehicle is registered as a student vehicle or an employee vehicle, the vehicle will be treated as such on our campus regardless of who is driving. It is the registered owners responsibility to share this information with anyone they loan their vehicle to.
Student and employee motorcycles/mopeds do not require a parking permit, but must be registered with the College. (See "Registration of All Motor Vehicles" above). Students are provided with a concrete motorcycle parking area in student parking lot 3 next to Edgewood Place. All other motorcycle/moped parking must be in regular vehicular parking stalls and must abide by all parking and traffic regulations.
All permits remain the property of Bethany Lutheran College and are obtained through the Business Office. Motor vehicles are required to be registered prior to obtaining a parking permit. (See"Registration of All Motor Vehicles.")
Parking permits are assigned to one specific individual and vehicle and may not be transferred from one vehicle to another. So if a student or employee were to sell, junk, or permanently remove a vehicle from campus, the permit must be removed and returned to the Business Office.
Any new vehicle must then be registered with the Business Office before a new permit will be issued at no additional cost. The parking permit must always match the registered owner and vehicle information on file in the Business Office. It is the registered owner’s responsibility to maintain current information on file with the Business Office.
Display the permit in the rear window on the lower left-hand corner (driver side). See the photo in the Campus Parking Guide brochure for proper permit location. Contact the Manager of Security Services regarding alternative permit locations on specialty vehicles such as convertibles or pickups with removable toppers.
A vehicle found displaying a parking permit belonging to another vehicle will be viewed as a possible stolen permit or theft of services and the vehicle will be immobilized with a wheel lock.
Any altered or fabricated parking permit will be treated as theft of services. A damaged parking permit must be returned to the Business Office to be reissued at no additional cost.
All vehicles parked in student parking lots must display a current Bethany parking permit. Violations will be cited. Students may obtain a parking permit from the Business Office. They will also receive a Campus Parking Guide brochure explaining the parking regulations of Bethany Lutheran College.
All on-campus students with a vehicle are required to register their vehicle and purchase a student parking permit due to a City of Mankato parking ordinance which prohibits 24-hour consecutive parking on public streets.
Student parking permits are $130 for on-campus students and $65 for commuter students. The student permit fee must be paid in advance for the entire academic year. If students attend only the fall semester, one-half of the permit fee will be refunded, provided the parking permit is returned to the Business Office.
The permit is good for the academic year and may be purchased upon arrival on campus. A permit covers only one vehicle per student and is only good in student parking lots. On-campus students are encouraged to use student parking lots 1, 2, and 3 for overnight use. Commuter students may use any student parking lot, but are encouraged to use lot 4 for their day use.
All commuter students who choose not to purchase a student parking permit must park off campus and abide by all City of Mankato parking regulations.
Students having a student parking permit
Students who have purchased a parking permit are required to obtain a temporary parking permit from the Business Office when a temporary vehicle is in use on campus. For example, if a vehicle is in for repairs and the student is using a temporary vehicle, a temporary permit is required to be displayed on the second vehicle at no additional cost. The temporary permit requires a Vehicle Registration Form be completed and the time frame it will be used on campus. Only one of the two vehicles is allowed on campus at any given time.
Students who do not have a student parking permit
Students who do not have a student parking permit for the year may purchase a temporary (weekly) parking permit from the Business Office. This permit is for students who wish to park on campus and have a vehicle for a limited time frame only. The temporary permit is valid for up to seven (7) consecutive days. A Vehicle Registration Form must be completed and turned into the Business Office. The cost for each temporary permit is $7. Temporary permits must also be displayed in the rear window on the lower left-hand corner (driver side).
Employee parking permits remain the property of Bethany Lutheran College. All employees are required to register their vehicles with the Business Office and obtain an employee parking permit before they may park in employee lots (see "Registration of All Motor Vehicles" above). Employee parking permits are issued free of charge and may be placed on all vehicles owned by the employee
Employee parking lots are posted as "Employee Permit Parking Only Monday - Friday 7 AM to 5 PM, Visitors Welcome Monday - Friday 5 PM - 2 AM, Saturday and Sunday 7 AM - 2 AM, No Student Parking at Anytime."
In the event all employee parking lots are full, employees may park in student parking lots or on public streets. Dependents of employees who are students at Bethany Lutheran College must purchase a student parking permit and park in student parking lots. A vehicle may only be issued one type of permit. If the dependent is the primary driver of the vehicle the vehicle will require a student parking permit.
Visitor parking areas are posted around campus as "Short-Term Visitor Parking, no permit required, no student parking, no parking 2 AM – 7 AM." These visitor parking spaces are closed to students and employees 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Strict enforcement is required due to limited visitor parking. Students will be fined and vehicle towed for using visitor parking areas.
Visitors may use employee parking areas Monday – Friday, 5 PM – 2 AM, and Saturday and Sunday, 7 AM – 2 AM, without obtaining a permit. Bethany employee parking lots are posted as "Employee Permit Parking Only, Monday – Friday, 7 AM – 5 PM, Visitors Welcome Monday – Friday, 5 PM – 2 AM, Saturday and Sunday 7 AM – 2 AM, No Student Parking at Anytime."
Off-campus students are not considered visitors. See the campus map for further details on available visitor parking areas.
Long-term visitor parking (overnight or between 2 AM – 7 AM) requires an Overnight Guest permit. An Overnight Guest permit may be obtained anytime from Campus Security (507) 344-7888 or from the Business Office, Monday- Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM, (507) 344-7756. Overnight Guest permits are issued free of charge to guests after they arrive on campus. Once a permit is displayed inside the rear window on the lower left hand corner (driver side), guests may park overnight in student parking lots 1, 2, 3, or 4. A Visitor Parking brochure with map is provided with each permit. The permit is only good for the assigned person, time frame and vehicle on file with the college. Once the permit expires, please remove and dispose of the permit. A new permit is required with each future visit.
Guests may also park overnight on the public street without an Overnight Guest permit, as long as they abide by all City of Mankato parking regulations.
Overnight Guest permits are not for student use. Students, please inform your guests of visitor parking requirements.
Ten (10) minute parking areas are posted near residential halls and most academic buildings. Students may use 10-minute parking areas but strict enforcement is required due to limited availability. Students will be fined and vehicle towed if abusing 10-minute parking areas. See the campus parking map for locations. There is no 10-minute, curb-side parking on campus.
Short-term special parking requests due to unique circumstances must be made in advance by obtaining permission from Campus Security at (507) 344-7888. Long-term requests, such as medical conditions, must be approved in advance by the Manager of Security Services at (507) 344-7889. Long-term parking requests due to medical reasons may require a note from your doctor.
Bethany parking lots are not designed to accommodate long vehicles such as buses or vehicles with trailers attached. Please see the bus parking map showing public street parking adjacent to our athletic fields where large vehicle parking is accommodated. Please call Campus Security at (507) 344-7888 for assistance.
Guests of the College attending on campus events may use visitor parking areas without a guest parking permit. During business hours, the College may post employee parking lots with "Event Parking" signs for additional guest parking as needed. All employee parking areas become visitor parking after 5 PM on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Students attending events are asked to park in designated student permit parking lots with the required permit. A commuter student who chooses not to purchase a student parking permit may park on the public streets adjacent to our athletic fields. Please see the Bethany parking map for "Suggested Public Street Parking." Students may not use visitor parking areas or employee parking lots posted as "Event Parking" to attend events.
- There is no curb-side parking on campus. All parking must be in a designated parking stall in a designated lot.
- The absence of NO PARKING signs does not imply that parking is allowed. Before parking in an area that is questionable, call Campus Security at (507) 344-7888 for direction.
- Parked vehicles may not obstruct access of any emergency vehicle such as fire department, emergency medical services or police, nor interfere with normal college operations or create a hazard. Vehicles parked in such a manner are subject to being issued a citation and towed.
- Student drivers may not park in areas restricted as "No student parking" regardless of the vehicle they are driving or who it may belong to.
- Unattended vehicles are considered parked when left unattended for any period of time.
- Lack of space is not a valid excuse for illegal parking.
- Parking regulations are subject to enforcement 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- The fact that a person may park or observe others parked in violation of the regulations without receiving a citation does not mean regulations can be ignored.
- Tearing down, altering, defacing, removing or theft of any sign or traffic control device including traffic cones, barricades or sandwich board signs is prohibited. Offenders are subject to administrative sanctions or criminal prosecution.
- Motorists must yield to the right-of-way to pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Bethany Lutheran College assumes no responsibility for the care or protection of any vehicle or its contents while operated and/or parked on campus.
- Remove keys and valuables and lock the vehicle when it is left unattended.
- Valuables, if not removed, should be secured in the trunk. Report all thefts and crimes immediately to Campus Security at (507) 344-7888.
- Disabled vehicles must be reported immediately to Campus Security, either in person or by phone (507) 344-7888. Notes are not acceptable.
- Any vehicle parked illegally may be towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.
- Students with permits may only park in student parking lots 1, 2, 3, or 4.
- The lot in front of Larson Hall is restricted to residents of that complex.
- Larson Hall residents are asked not to park on the public streets below Larson Hall.
- If for some reason all student parking lots are full, students are to park on the public street and not in employee or visitor parking areas. Please notify Campus Security of the problem.
- Vehicles are not allowed on sidewalks or lawns.
- Please drive responsibly. The on-campus speed limit is 15 miles per hour.
- Special parking exceptions for extenuating circumstances must be approved BEFOREHAND by Campus Security at (507) 344-7888 or the Manager of Security Services at (507) 344-7889.
General parking violations include any of the following actions:
- Courtesy verbal or written warning (officers may use their discretion and are not required to issue a warning).
- First, second, and third violations: $15 fine.
- All subsequent violations: $30 or double the fine.
- Students parking in visitor parking areas: $25 fine and subject to be towed off campus.
- Handicap parking violation: $50 fine. (Please note: If cited for handicap parking by any local law enforcement officer, the fine may be up to $200.)
- Unregistered student vehicle: $100 fine and immobilized.
Bethany reserves the right to increase the fine to $100 for any student parking violation when the student failed to register the motor vehicle.
Parking fines must be paid to the Business Office within 14 days from the date and time of issue. The citation number or the license plate number is needed at the time of payment. Unpaid fines that go beyond the 14-day requirement become delinquent. These citations are listed as outstanding.
All unregistered vehicles with an outstanding citation are subject to being immobilized with a wheel lock for nonpayment.
Please note: Parking citations are issued to the registered owner on file with the College. If a vehicle is loaned to a friend who is cited, the registered owner is responsible for the fine.
A wheel lock will also be used on vehicles with any outstanding citation from a prior academic year. The wheel lock removal fee is $25 in addition to all outstanding fines. All fines and fees associated with the wheel lock are to be paid within 24 hours to the Business Office or Campus Security before the wheel lock will be removed. Nonpayment may result in the vehicle being towed off campus.
Tampering or removing a wheel lock is a $75 fine along with damage costs and other possible sanctions.
The Manager of Security Services has the authority to revoke any parking permit or tow a motor vehicle off campus when a pattern of noncompliance of parking rules and regulations is observed.
Violators who have been cited more than 5 times within an academic year will not be allowed on campus parking privileges.
Nonpayment of fines may also result in being unable to pre-register as a student with Bethany Lutheran College or a hold being placed on a student’s account with the College.
The towing of vehicles off the College campus is at the discretion of the Manager of Security Services or the Director of Facilities. Towing will be considered for vehicles that are banned from the college campus, students parking in visitor parking areas, student 10-minute parking violations, blocking or preventing free movement of other motor vehicle traffic, hazards, safety concerns, nonpayment of fines, a pattern of noncompliance of parking rules and regulations, parking in a restricted area or in visitor parking and employee parking areas between 2 AM - 7 AM. All towing will be done at the vehicle owner’s expense. Towing will be done by All American Towing, 465 Poplar Street (507) 345-5005.
Individuals who believe they may have received a ticket in error or feel there are good reasons why they should not have received a ticket, must first contact the Manager of Security Services at (507) 344-7889 to discuss the details surrounding the violation.
If the matter still goes unresolved, you have the right to submit an "appeal" within 14 days after the ticket has been issued. Fines and wheel lock fees must still be paid within the prescribed time period (14 days). The appeal form may be obtained from the Business Office or from Campus Security. This same form, once completed, must be turned into and signed by the Manager of Security Services.
The Parking Appeal Committee can only handle appeals for tickets issued by Bethany Campus Security. The committee has no jurisdiction over city/state infractions. If the appeal is decided in the violator’s favor, they will be reimbursed for any fines paid.
The College may need to call a snow emergency from time to time in addition to the City of Mankato snow emergency. Snow emergencies called by the College will be announced in the Daily Bulletin and by e-mail. In addition, a bright yellow informational poster with the heading "Bethany Snow Emergency" will be placed in strategic locations around campus including residential halls.
Please note the following snow emergency guidelines:
- Snow emergency means vehicles must be moved out of a student parking lot during the time frame posted.
- The college will attempt to give a 24-hour notice before calling a snow emergency.
- The college will try to have the snow emergency on Saturdays. If we need to call a snow emergency on a weekday, we will call it after 5 PM.
- During a snow emergency, students will be allowed to park in designated parking areas as well as on city streets, providing there is no city snow emergency. However, students must return their vehicles to student lots at the end of the snow emergency period.
- The college will treat a snow emergency the same way as the City of Mankato. If vehicles are not removed during the snow emergency, they will be issued a citation and towed by All American Towing, 465 Poplar Street, Mankato; (507) 345-5005.
- Campus Security and Maintenance will assist students with removing vehicles if necessary (jump start, etc.). If students are unavailable to move their vehicles, they should ask a roommate or a friend to move them.
The City of Mankato has a 24-hour Snow Emergency Hot Line at (507) 387-9001 which addresses parking on the public streets in and around the campus. Students are responsible for keeping track of the City of Mankato snow emergency requirements when parking on public streets. It is not the responsibility of the College to accommodate on campus parking during a city snow emergency. If students chose not to purchase a Bethany parking permit, they will need to make other off-campus parking arrangements.
Bethany Lutheran College is not responsible for stolen property or damage to vehicles.
Drivers are asked to keep their vehicles locked at all times and to remove any valuables from inside the vehicle. College students are preferred targets by a thief. Most car prowlers look for vehicles with valuables in plain sight and within a matter of seconds, can smash a window, grab items, and leave.
Common items taken from vehicles include purses, checkbooks, stereo equipment, cash, athletic equipment, sunglasses, CD’s, tools, backpacks, etc. Students should safeguard their valuables stowing them out of sight in the trunk, under seats or by keeping them in a locked dorm room or locker.
Consider marking valuables and keeping track of make, model, serial number, and value of equipment. Recovered stolen property is then traceable back to the owner and gives police the ability to enter stolen property in their computer to later charge suspects with possession of stolen property.
Please report all crimes immediately to Campus Security by calling (507) 344- 7888.