Bethany Lutheran College, owned and operated by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod, is a private, residential, liberal arts college committed to the teachings of the Bible as set forth in the Lutheran Confessions. Bethany provides studies culminating in a Bachelor of Arts degree. The college serves Lutherans and others by offering a challenging, student-centered approach to education that fosters spiritual development, intellectual and creative growth, self-understanding, and responsible citizenship. In keeping with its heritage, Bethany aspires to produce students with a clear understanding of Christian vocation, which encourages students to make the most of their God-given talents.
Since 1927 Bethany Lutheran College has provided quality education. It has maintained a consistent commitment to producing consecrated and intelligent citizens who demonstrate intellectual accomplishments, good judgment and cultural awareness. Above all, the goal of the college has been to provide sound, Christian education focusing on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Bethany Lutheran College seeks to be a community of faith and learning.
Bethany Lutheran College is a Christian Liberal Arts college. The college and the Evangelical Lutheran Synod are committed to the Holy Scriptures, the inspired and inerrant Word of God, as the sole authority for faith and life. The Lutheran Confessions are accepted as the correct understanding of the teachings of the Holy Scriptures. This commitment is summarized by the Reformation principles: Grace Alone, Faith Alone, and Scripture Alone.
Specifically, the college confesses that through faith in Jesus Christ the individual receives the forgiveness of sins and eternal life. Such faith is produced in human hearts by the Holy Spirit through the Word and Sacraments.
The Christian faith governs the entire educational process at Bethany. Christian education implies a unique perspective on the past, present, and future. It assumes a specific view of people and their relationships both to God and to others. The college is committed to the position that these relationships are to be understood in the light of the knowledge that Jesus Christ is the Savior and the Lord of the universe.
In order to carry out the philosophy of the college, Bethany has the following specific objectives for the students:
- To grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ by means of the Gospel
- To practice independent critical thinking so that they are not shaken from the eternal foundations on which their moral and spiritual growth is based
- To become responsible citizens, aware of social realities, through the study of American and world cultural heritage as well as contemporary social, economic, and political issues
- To develop an appreciation for art, music, and literature so that as educated young people they will lead more full and satisfying lives
- To encourage an attitude of Christian stewardship with regard to their talents and abilities that they be used for the glory of God and the welfare of mankind
- To increase their ability to use written and oral English effectively
- To secure a foundation in mathematics and the sciences for a better understanding of the world
- To develop, through curricular and extracurricular experiences, positive attitudes toward physical and mental health
- To acquire the necessary skills for achieving a satisfactory vocational adjustment
To fulfill these objectives, Bethany provides:
- Religion courses, daily chapel services, and other opportunities for the exercise of the Christian faith
- A Common General Education Core for all students
- A growing number of majors culminating in a bachelor of arts degree