International Student Services
Bethany's international student advisors are available to help in a variety of ways. Advisors help students obtain the benefits form the Immigration and Naturalizations Services (INS) and facilitate such matters as employment authorization, extension of legal stay in the country, travel abroad and re-entry to the United States. Assistance with personal and cultural adjustment issues is also available to students.
All non-U.S. applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form with USD $250 nonrefundable application fee
- Certificate of financial responsibility and supporting documents (see back page of application)
- Autobiographical essay that includes a statement of your personal and academic purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency. Bethany Lutheran College recognizes official results from the following standardized tests:
- A complete official secondary school record listing courses taken, examination results, and class rank, if available.**
- The original or photocopy of any certificate or degree obtained.**
- A complete record of any college, university, or other post-secondary work listing courses taken and examination results
- A statement of health from your doctor (including current immunization records)
- Recommended but not required: SAT 1
- Two small pictures of the applicant (optional)
All of the above requirements must be fulfilled by August 1 for Fall term or by December 1 for Spring term. Starred items (**) must include an official English translation if necessary.
International English Language Testing System
IELTS is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is used as the language of communication. It is recognised widely as a language requirement for all courses in further and higher education. It is readily available at test centers around the world which arrange test administrations according to local demand. Results are issued two weeks after candidates have taken the test. Band scores are recorded on a Test Report Form, showing overall ability as well as performance in listening, reading, writing and speaking.
Bethany Lutheran College recognizes the IELTS at the 6.5 band score, meaning that the student has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. The student should be able to handle basic communication in own field.