Frequently Asked Questions
How do I search for a book?
You can limit your results using the limiters on the right side of your search results page. If that still leads to too many results, try using some of the search limits in the Advanced Searching option.They also have written some great search tips available on the right-hand side of that page.
Are you not finding any results? Try broadening your search (for example, searching for “social network” instead of “Twitter”) or select the “All MnPALS Libraries” location option in the drop-down box.
Where are the different collections?
- Old issues of periodicals (moveable shelving)
- Curriculum collection
- Academic Resource Center
- Main Floor
- Current Periodicals
- Reference collection
- Ask at the Front Desk
- Board games
- CDs and DVDs
- Equipment (headphones, dry-erase markers, etc.)
- Reserve items
- Top Floor
- Children's and Young Adult collections
- General collection
- Oversize collection
- Preus collection
- Reference and Seminary overflow
- Study rooms
How do I renew an item?
- Start at the library homepage: blc.edu/library
- Click on My Library Account, and log into your library account in MnPals.
- Enter your User ID/Barcode (14-digit barcode on your college ID starting with 20219...) and Password (your last name).
- All Bethany items you have will show up immediately.
- If the item is eligible to be renewed, a box will appear in the upper left corner next to the item. Check this box, and click Renew Selected Items.
- If the item is not eligible to be renewed, no box will be available. If you have questions please contact the Circulation Coordinator at ext. 437 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To renew Interlibrary Loan items that are not on or past their due date, click on the ILL Requests button in the right hand column.
- Select the item you want to renew, and click on the "Renew ILL" button in the ILL Actions column. (Note: The library that sent the book decides whether or not the item will be renewed, not BLC library.)
- ILLs from out of state need to be renewed by a librarian. Please contact Ramsey Turner at ext. 437 or email@example.com for assistance.
How do I search from off-campus?
How do I request an Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Start at blc.edu/library to search Bethany's collections.
- If you do not see the item you are looking for in the results list, select All MnPALS Libraries from the Select a Location drop down list and run the search again. (Video how-to)
- If the item is available from more than one library, find the one geographically closest to Bethany (such as Minnesota State University-Mankato).
- Click on the title of the item. This brings up the item record.
- Click the Request Item button (located near the bottom of the record), and sign in with your User ID/Barcode (14-digit barcode on your college ID; starts with 20219...) and Password (your last name). Click Login.
- Once logged in, you will be returned to the item record. Click the Place an ILL Request button.
- Double check that you have the correct item. You may need to indicate agreement with the copyright statement, and then click Submit Request.
- Though there are spaces to request a photocopy of a section of the book, that is up to the loaning library. Most libraries prefer to simply send the entire book.
How to I request a book from the seminary library?
Which Resource Should I Use?
- Most Subjects: Academic Search Complete, Britannica Academic Encyclopedia, EBSCO MegaFILE, JSTOR
- Business: Business Source Premier, LexisNexis Academic
- Communication/Arts: Communication & Mass Media Complete, JSTOR, MegaFILE for current events topics, ProjectMUSE, Stash
- Education: Educator's Reference Complete, ERIC
- Health: Health Source, Consumer Health Complete, AltHealth for alternative/integrative medicine, PubMed for some topics (a bit tricky to use - library staff can help you!)
- History: HathiTrust, primary sources (ArchiveGrid, MN Digital Library, ProQuest Newspapers), government documents (FedStats, Gov't Printing Office, US Census Bureau)
- Spanish-language articles: Informe Spanish Journals, advanced search in JSTOR using “Spanish” as a language limit
- Proquest Newstand Complete (includes current New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and local papers!)
- Regional Business News
Streaming Video (Free)
- Twin Cities Public Television (Excellent MN History, local, and multicultural topics)
- National Public Television (Arts performances, documentaries, and the latest Masterpiece dramas)
- Khan Academy (Amazing free video lessons on a wide range of topics-very strong in math/science)
- You Tube Academic (You Tube: Not just for videos of sassy toddlers! Check out these videos from universities and other academic centers)
How do I Search for Book Reviews?
Book reviews are actually much easier to search using library databases than a general Google search! Not only is it a short process, but the reviews in our databases are sure to be the full review (not an excerpt) and from trusted sources.
- Start at blc.edu/library; click on the Databases tab
- Select your EBSCO database (EBSCO MegaFile or Academic Search Premier)
- Go to Advanced Search (link is under main search box).
- Under “document type,” select “Book Review.”
- Enter the the name of the book you’re searching for in quotes in the main search box (example- “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother”)
- You might also wish to check the “Full Text” option in the “Limit Your Results” section if you want to be able to read your article immediately.
- Start at blc.edu/library; click on the Databases tab
- Click on the JSTOR link
- Click the “Advanced Search” link underneath the main search box on the JSTOR homepage.
- Enter the title in quotes in the search box (example- “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother”)
- Click on the checkbox marked “Reviews” in the item type section.
- Check the “Reviewed works” under the title of each search result to see if the review covers the title you are searching. This will save you time (and paper)!
How do I Search Databases?
How Do I Search for Scholarly or Peer-Reviewed Articles?
EBSCO Databases (EBSCOMegaFILE, Academic Search Premier): In the Advanced Search option (located underneath the main search box when you first click on the page), there will be a checkbox for “Scholarly/Peer-reviewed articles.” You can also limit the “Material Type” to Journal Articles.
JSTOR articles are already scholarly/peer-reviewed. However, if you use the “Advanced Search” option (underneath the main search box on the main page of JSTOR), you can limit to Articles using a checkbox. This option will eliminate book reviews from your results.
I Get TONS of Results in my Database Searches. How Can I Fix That?
The Advanced Search option (located underneath the main search box in each database) will let you limit your search using the following options:
- Connecting several search words together, putting each into its own search box. You can use up to seven search boxes connected together! (Example: “social media” AND Facebook AND teacher if you’re interested in articles about teachers using Facebook)
- Limit by date: Certain classes will ask for articles that have been written in the past five years. This option is also a good choice if you’re working with something that’s fairly recent, such as South Sudan, which became a country in 2011.
- Limit to “Scholarly/Peer-Reviewed Articles” (Checkbox)
- If you’re using a phrase, put it in quotes (Example “social network”, “developmental psychology”)
- Each database has a “Subject Guide” or “Thesaurus.” These words are the words the people who create these records use to arrange the articles. Searching for these words (switching the drop-down box next to the search boxes where you put the words to “SU-Descriptors”) will give you very strong results!
How do I access e-Books or audio books?
- Start at blc.edu/library.
- Click on Library Services in the left-hand menu
- Click on either Audio Books or e-Books
- Browse by category or enter the title of a book
- View an eBook immediately on your device OR
- Download an e- or audio book by creating and/or signing into your Ebsco account
- You may need to download Adobe Digital Editions to view material.
*Please note that BLC Memorial Library focuses on academic material and does not hold many popular titles. E-books and audiobooks can rarely be requested via ILL. Public libraries have more extensive popular collections; feel free to visit the Blue Earth County Library or the North Mankato Taylor Library for those titles.
Once I find an article I want to read, how do I find out if Bethany has it?
- Start at blc.edu/library; click on the Journals tab
- Enter the journal title, click Search
- Results will appear by journal title and databases that contain those articles (holdings)
- Click on a database that has access within the date range of your article
- Find the article by date, or click the "Search within this publication" option to search by title
Want to view an article you found in JSTOR or EbscoHost?
- Click "View as PDF" or "HTML Full Text"
- If these options are not available, click "Where can I get this?" or "Find it at Bethany!" to request it via ILL.
No problem! Contact your friendly Reference Librarian, Jessi Zimmerman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 349.
Is there a book drop outside of the library?
- Yes! There is a book drop just outside of the main doors to the library as well as a book drop in the front entryway of Old Main. This drop is checked Monday-Friday in the afternoon.
- All DVDs, CDs, course reserves, and ILL items need to be returned to the circulation desk.
How do I get a student ID?
How do I print wirelessly on campus from my laptop computer?
- Go to http://studentprint.blc.edu
- Log in with your Bethany username and password
- Follow the directions to print
Equipment Available for Checkout at the Library
Equipment available for Student and Faculty/Staff Checkout includes:
|Dry erase markers/erasers||VCR, CD, & DVD players|
|Portable DVD Player||Practice keys for piano|
|mp3 Players||Graphing Calculators|
|Digital Voice Recorder||Colored Pencils|
|Light Box (for Seasonal Affective Disorder)|
Cross-Terrain Sports Club Equipment for Student Checkout:
|Croquet Set||Bocce Set|
|Tennis Balls (2 cans)||Tennis Racquets (4)|
|Bike/Ball pump (2 hours)||Disc Golf Frisbees (4)|
|Jump Rope (2)||Slack Line Kit|