Scripture quotations are generally from the New King James Version of the Holy Bible, ©1982 by the Thomas Nelson Company.
Quotations from the Augsburg Confession are from the forthcoming Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary.
- - -
Aaberg, J. C. Hymns and Hymnwriters of Denmark. Des Moines: Committee on Publication of the Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 1945.
Anderson, Verlyn. The History and Acculturation of the English Language Hymnals of the Norwegian-American Lutheran Churches, 1879-1958. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI Dissertation Information Service, 1988; ©1972 by Verlyn Dean Anderson.
Augustine. Confessions. Translated by Rex Warner. New York: New American Library, 1963.
Backer, Bruce R. Lutheran Worship (course syllabus). New Ulm, MN: Dr. Martin Luther College, 1988.
Bergsma, Johannes. Johannes Bugenhagen and the Reformation of the Liturgy of the Mass. Preliminary English Translation by Dennis Marzolf, 1993. The original title is: Die Reform der Messliturgie durch Johannes Bugenhagen (1485-1558). Hildesheim: Bernward Verlag, 1966.
Book of Common Prayer. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 1968.
Cartford, Gerhard. Music in the Norwegian Lutheran Church: A Study of its Development in Norway and its Transfer to America, 1825-1917. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI Dissertation Information Service, 1988; ©1962 by Gerhard Cartford.
Dahle, John. The Library of Christian Hymns. Starbuck, MN: Lutheran Memorial Publishing Company, 1924.
Dannemarkes og Norges Kirke Ritual. Copenhagen: Andreas Hartwig Godiche, the University Book Publishers, 1761. [= the 1685 Church Ritual with changes listed as endnotes]
Davies, J.G. (Editor). A Dictionary of Liturgy and Worship. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1972.
Edersheim, Alfred. The Temple: Its Ministry and Services. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, reprint 1985.
Flatø, Lars. Den store liturgirevisjonen i vår kirke 1886-1926: En kirkehistorisk undersøkelse. Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag, 1982.
Haïk-Vantoura, Suzanne. The Music of the Bible Revealed. Berkeley, CA: Bibal Press, 1991.
Hedley, George. Christian Worship: Some Meanings and Means. New York: Macmillan, 1953.
Holloway, Henry. The Norwegian Rite. London: Arthur H. Stockwell Ltd., 1934.
Jansen, F. J. Billeskov. Dansk Littertatur Historie. Copenhagen: Politikens Forlag, 1976.
Jungmann, Josef. The Early Liturgy: To the Time of Gregory the Great. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1959.
Kingo, Thomas. Thomas Kingos Graduale. Odense, Denmark: Christian Schrøder, 1699. Facsimile edition: Odense, Denmark: Andelsbogtrykkeriet, 1967. The facsimile edition includes two modern essays: "Thomas Kingo's Gradual: A Hymnological-Historical Introduction" by Erik Norman Svendsen, and "Melodic Contents in Kingo's Gradual" by Henrik Glahn.
Leaver, Robin. Music in the Service of the Church: The Funeral Sermon for Heinrich Schütz (1585-1672). St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1984.
Le Mée, Katharine. Chant. New York: Bell Tower, 1994.
Lundquist, Matthew N. Hymnological Studies. Chicago: Wartburg Publishing House, 1926.
Luther, Martin. Luther's Works, Vol. 53: Liturgy and Hymns. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1965.
Marzolf, Dennis. Luther Among the Musicians. Mankato, MN: Bethany College Bookstore.
Nagel, Norman. "Whose Liturgy Is It?" in Logia, II 2, April 1993.
Reed, Luther D. Memoirs of the Lutheran Liturgical Association. Philadelphia: Lutheran Liturgical Association, 1906. Contents of the 7 volumes (in one binding) listed below:
- I 1 The Fundamental Principles of Christian Worship (J. C. F. Rupp)
- I 9 Our Distinctive Worship-The Common Service and Other Liturgies, Ancient and Modern (L. D. Reed)
- I 19 The Significance of Liturgical Reform (E. T. Horn)
- I 41 The Sources of the Morning Service of the Common Service (R. M. Smith)
- II 1 The Architecture of the Chancel (E. F. Krauss)
- II 7 The Significance of the Altar (W. E. Schramm)
- II 15 The Swedish Liturgies (N. Forsander)
- II 29 Altar Linen (L. D. Reed)
- II 35 The Sources of the Minor Services (R. M. Smith)
- II 57 The History of the Liturgy of the Lutheran Church in Denmark (E. Belfour)
- II 75 Thematic Harmony of Introit, Collect, Epistle, and Gospel (D. H. Geissinger)
- II 83 Art in Worship (J. F. Ohl)
- III 1 The Administration of the Lord's Supper in Different Ages of the Church (G. S. Seaman)
- III 9 The Liturgical History of Confirmation (C. T. Benze)
- III 19 The Church and the Liturgy (C. M. Jacobs)
- III 35 The Church Prayer (C. A. Miller)
- III 47 The Value of Liturgical Study for Organists (G. C. Rees)
- III 59 A General Survey of the Book of Common Prayer (S. A. Bridges Stopp)
- III 75 Means of Liturgical Reform (T. W. Kretschmann)
- III 81 Liturgical Education of the Church's Youth (R. E. McDaniel)
- III 89 The Sacrificial Idea in Christian Worship (G. F. Spieker)
- III 101 The Place of Liturgy in the Church's Thought, Life and Art (J. A. W. Haas)
- III 113 The Liturgical History of Baptism (H. S. Gilbert)
- IV 1 The Liturgical Influence of the Lesser Reformers (C. T. Benze)
- IV 17 The Ecclesiastical Calendar (N. R. Melhorn)
- IV 29 Luther's Liturgical Writings (E. A. Trabert)
- IV 47 The Pericopes (A. Spaeth)
- IV 63 Liturgical Development in the Period of the Reformation (E. T. Horn)
- IV 67 The Liturgical Deterioration of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries (J. F. Ohl)
- IV 79 Liturgy and Doctrine (D. H. Geissinger)
- IV 85 Early American Lutheran Liturgies (D. M. Kemerer)
- IV 95 The Liturgy of the Icelandic Church (F. J. Bergmann)
- V 1 The Liturgical Influence of Gregory the Great (A. L. Ramer)
- V 9 The Function of the Minister in Divine Worship (E. F. Krauss)
- V 21 A Laity Liturgically Well-Informed (A. B. Markley)
- V 31 The Significance of Symbolism and Its Employment in the Service of the Church (G. J. Gongaware)
- V 41 The Collects (S. A Bridges Stopp)
- V 53 The Fundamental Principles of Divine Service (G. W. Mechling)
- V 69 Regulations and Customs Pertaining to the Use of the Sacraments (I. M. Wallace)
- V 85 Liturgical Accuracy and Spirituality (H. D. Spaeth)
- VI 1 Contributive Influences Noted in the History and Structure of the Liturgy (W. A. Lambert)
- VI 17 Remarks on Some of Our Liturgical Classics (E. T. Horn)
- VI 23 Preaching and the Day (P. Z. Strodach)
- VI 41 Christian Worship in the Apostolic Age (C. M. Jacobs)
- VI 65 The Liturgical History of Confession and Absolution
- VI 77 The Sacramental Idea in Christian Worship (A. Spaeth)
- VI 89 Paraments of the Lord's House (G. U. Wenner)
- VII 1 Liturgical Colors (P. Z. Strodach)
- VII 19 Consecration (G. U. Wenner)
- VII 27 The Liturgical Use of the Creeds (J. W. Horine)
- VII 35 The Liturgy of the Norwegian Lutheran Church (E. K. Johnsen)
- VII 49 Christian Worship in the First Post-Apostolic Age (C. M. Jacobs)
- VII 75 The Application of Lutheran Principles of the Church Building (E. T. Horn)
- VII 121 The Bidding Prayer, Litany, and Suffrages (C. K. Fegley)
- VII 159 The Use of Stained Glass in Ecclesiastical Architecture (E. F. Krauss)
- VII 169 Sacred Monograms-The Charisma and the Holy Name (E. F. Krever)
Reed, Luther D. The Lutheran Liturgy. Philadelphia: Muhlenberg Press, 1947. Reprinted by Concordia Publishing House, 1985.
Routley, Erik. The Church and Music. London: Gerald Duckworth & Co., Ltd., 1949.
Sandvik, Ole M. Norske Religiøse Folketoner. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget, 1960.
Senkbeil, Harold. Sanctification: Christ in Action. Milwaukee: Northwestern Publishing House, 1988.
Smedal, Gottfried. "Menighedens Deltagelse i Gudstjenesten" ["The congregation's participation in the Divine Service"] in Evangelisk Luthersk Kirketidende (January and February 1897) p. 657-73, 81-91.
Smith, C. Howard. Scandinavian Hymnody from the Reformation to the Present. Metuchen, NJ: The American Theological Library Association and the Scarecrow Press, 1987.
Stiller, Günther. Johann Sebastian Bach and Liturgical Life in Leipzig. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1984.
Stulken, Marilyn Kay. Hymnal Companion to the Lutheran Book of Worship. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1981.
Thompson, Bard. Liturgies of the Western Church. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1961.
Bach, J. S. Mass in b minor (Messe in h-moll) - 2 hours
St. Matthew Passion (Matthäus-Passion) - 3 hours
St. John Passion (Johannes-Passion) - 2 hours
Christmas Oratorio (Weihnachts-Oratorium) - 3 hours (Six cantatas for Christmas through Epiphany)
Cantatas (about 200 are extant). Some of the most important are: BWV 4 (Christ lag in Todesbanden, Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands), BWV 140 (Wachet auf, Wake Awake), BWV 7 (Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam, To Jordan came our Lord the Christ), BWV 80 (Ein feste Burg, A Mighty Fortress)
Brahms, Johannes. A German Requiem, Motets.
Classical Christmas. [5 CD set Laserlight 35890, or each: 15272, 15146, 15274, 15147, 15276]
Favorite Norwegian Hymns (Gustavus Adolphus Choir) [Delta 93-327]
Haïk-Vantoura, Suzanne. Music of the Bible Revealed. [Harmonia Mundi 190989]
Martin Luther und die Musik (works by Walter, Des Prez, Senfl, Schein, Scheidt, Praetorius, etc.) [Christophorus 0025]
Mendelssohn, Felix. Reformation Symphony, Elijah, St. Paul, Organ Sonatas.
Music from the Time of Christian IV: Church Music at Court and in Town. [BIS 289]
Sacred Music from the Court of Christian IV. [Kontrapunkt 32100]
Norsk på nytt. Norwegian folk-songs and folk-hymns. [Lynor 9403]
Praetorius, Michael. [Lutheran] Mass for Christmas Morning (as it might have been done in 1620), recorded in Roskilde Cathedral in Denmark (birthplace of hymnwriter Hans C. Sthen) [Archiv 439 250-2]
Rutter, John (conductor). Brother Sun, Sister Moon: The Cambridge Singers conducted by John Rutter. Music for the Morning and Evening Rite (good sampling of Gregorian chant, German and English composers) [American Gramaphone 588]
Schütz, Heinrich (before Bach) Psalms, St. John Passion, Seven Words from the Cross.