HYMNS ON THE PASSION
which can be used in the congregations during Lent
at the weekly service and on Days of Prayer
according to the custom of each place
[by Thomas Kingo]
[from the Gradual of 1699]
[Translation © Mark
DeGarmeaux unless noted]
Return to Mark DeGarmeaux's home page
E-mail me for permission to use or
to comment on translation and suggest improvements
- Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary home page
(ELH has 16 hymns by Thomas Kingo)
O come, let us worship
(A Study in Lutheran Liturgy and Hymnody by M. DeGarmeaux) (107k)
The Path of Understanding -- The Development
of Lectionaries and their use in the Lutheran Church (by the Rev.
- Jesus Condemned to be Crucified
- RETTENS SPIIR DET ALT ER BRECKED*
- tune: previous tune
- 1 Staff of justice now is broken
- Mercy now has grown so cold
- Righteousness no one has spoken
- Innocence bears cruelty bold.
- Lies are clothed in truthful coat
- Truth into the ground is trod.
- While injustice swift is creeping,
- Even stones o'er this are weeping.
- 2 Right and wrong get equal honour;
- Both considered just the same.
- Jesus' trial holds no honour,
- No true justice, only shame!
- And the people shout and jeer
- Without shame and without fear;
- Justice they have all forsaken;
- Jesus to the cross is taken.
- 3 Never under all of heaven,
- All the firmament and sky,
- Was there such a judgement given
- Never truth made such a lie!
- Yet no guilt or blame they show,
- That He should His life forego,
- To the cross of death they take Him,
- Scapegoat for their guilt they make Him.
- 4 Hear the judgement now and listen:
- Jesus is to death condemned!
- Hellish snake with joy doth glisten
- As God's heart-strings sadly rend.
- Now the dreadful woe and need
- Now the bitter cross indeed
- Now for Him there's no relieving
- How His soul with sorrow's grieving.
- 5 Pilate now himself excusing
- Washes hands in water bath
- Jesus he is not accusing
- So he thinks he's free from wrath.
- Yet the guilt of Jesus' blood
- Can't be washed in such a flood
- His clean hands are empty token;
- For God's judgement still is spoken.
- 6 And the Jews were never frightened
- Jesus' death bore them no guilt
- Fears of conscience ne'er were heightened
- That His blood in pools be spilt.
- So for death they shout and call,
- Let His vengeance on them fall
- And upon their future offspring
- For they knew what they were doing.
- 7 Now with sorrow I am falling
- At my precious Jesus' feet.
- I repent my sins appalling
- For which Jesus death did meet;
- I must bear the awful blame
- For the harshness of His shame
- If I could, I'd bear the torment
- Of His wrongful, bitter judgement.
- 8 O my God, I can't be hiding;
- Without number are my sins.
- Yet with Thee I'll be abiding
- Judgement house and hall within!
- All my sins brought Thee distress;
- Thee to judgement they do press!
- When I see Thy sore oppression,
- I see marks of my transgression.
- 9 Sinful hands of mine naught washes
- No excuse I find for me
- But I bathe myself in ashes
- Weeping, praying heartily:
- Dearest Jesus, that Thou wilt
- Think not on my sin and guilt;
- Blot them out now by Thy dying,
- On Thy grace I am relying.
- 10 Thou art without guilt and sinning
- Yet for me to death to go
- Even unto death all willing
- Faithful, all for me to do.
- At God's judgement throne I may
- All my refuge in Thee lay
- For Thy judgement's my salvation,
- Saving me from condemnation.
Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org