HYMNS ON THE PASSION
which can be used in the congregations during Lent
at the weekly service and on Days of Prayer
according to the custom of each place
[by Thomas Kingo]
[from the Gradual of 1699]
[Translation © Mark
DeGarmeaux unless noted]
Return to Mark DeGarmeaux's home page
E-mail me for permission to use or
to comment on translation and suggest improvements
- Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary home page
(ELH has 16 hymns by Thomas Kingo)
O come, let us worship
(A Study in Lutheran Liturgy and Hymnody by M. DeGarmeaux) (107k)
The Path of Understanding -- The Development
of Lectionaries and their use in the Lutheran Church (by the Rev.
- Jesus in Pilate's Judgement Hall
- JESUS SOM SKAL VERDEN DØMME* 
- tune: previous tune
- 1 Jesus, Judge of every nation,
- Under Pilate's judgement came,
- Under Jewish condemnation
- Full of mockery and shame!
- To the heathen judge He came
- Who knew not God's Law and name;
- To his power Himself to offer
- And injustice He will suffer.
- 2 Hypocrites, you rabble daring,
- Enter not the judgement hall
- From uncleanness yourselves sparing
- Yet it helps you not at all.
- For you tread in blasphemy
- Murder, lies, and sins many
- Soul and heart are deeper sinking,
- Evil toward your God now thinking.
- 3 Thou, who all the earth art shaking,
- From whose face the lightning goes
- Earthly princes quickly breaking
- Like a potsherd that one throws.
- As a man of sin, O Christ,
- Stricken, smitten, and despised,
- Now abused Thou standest taking
- As a Lamb, our ransom making.
- 4 Although Pilate still was never
- In his soul so hardened through,
- Yet for judgement's honour ever
- He now asks for justice true
- What the accusation be
- That they bring for him to see
- In this Captive now before them
- Why they wretchedly deplore Him.
- 5 With their poison lungs, all blameful,
- Breathing through a lying mouth
- And with serpent tongues, so shameful,
- Mocking God and every truth;
- What they speak goes on and on
- As a wall to build upon,
- Yet no fault can they be plying
- On the Righteous without lying.
- 6 Hate and blasphemy and lying
- Anything that ever can
- From their mouths with hate be flying
- All against true God and Man,
- That He leads them all astray,
- Telling them no tax to pay
- And Himself a King He's calling
- Which to them is more appalling.
- 7 Jesus now is asked with venom
- Of His kingdom and His crown
- But He answers that His kingdom
- From eternity is found!
- Truth, which they must ever hate,
- And the whole world doth berate,
- Yet He boldly will declare it,
- Although Satan cannot bear it.
- 8 Even Pilate, all things judging,
- Him not guilty must declare,
- While they endlessly are bringing
- Blasphemy that He must bear;
- But by Jewish law they can
- Never slay this guiltless Man,
- So they must with Him be taking
- Accusations of their making.
- 9 Let the angry mob be making
- Lies and slander as they will
- Jesus yet no answer making
- To their many words of ill;
- And their lies are shameless all,
- Evident to one and all
- So He therefore will be silent
- Waiting still for God's own judgement.
- 10 O Thou precious God and Savior,
- O Thou sinless, spotless Lamb,
- Evil foes with cruel behaviour
- Heap Thee all with scorn and shame
- They accuse Thee, tongues a-flail,
- With the dragon's wicked tail,
- Thou art beaten, scourged, and punished
- With betrayal and injustice.
- 11 Oh, how I must e'er be mournful
- That I am so full of sin,
- When my enemies all scornful
- Seek my wandering soul to win,
- With their lies and shame and fear;
- But Thou art my Saviour dear,
- Taking all my sins upon Thee,
- All the shame my sin had brought me.
- 12 Source of faithfulness, all willing,
- Now in Pilate's judgement hall,
- All Thy saving work fulfilling,
- For Thy silence covers all;
- All our sin and evil lust
- Which on Thee alone were thrust
- All Thou willingly did suffer
- Innocent, Thyself to offer.
- 13 And when death I shall be meeting
- In God's judgement I shall know
- That Thou art for me still pleading,
- All Thy innocence, bestow;
- Speak for me, for I have found
- Full salvation in Thy wounds
- So that after earthly sadness
- I may know my God in gladness.
Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org