HYMNS ON THE PASSION
which can be used in the congregations during Lent
at the weekly service and on Days of Prayer
according to the custom of each place
[by Thomas Kingo]
[from the Gradual of 1699]
[Translation © Mark
DeGarmeaux unless noted]
Return to Mark DeGarmeaux's home page
E-mail me for permission to use or
to comment on translation and suggest improvements
- Evangelical Lutheran Hymnary home page
(ELH has 16 hymns by Thomas Kingo)
O come, let us worship
(A Study in Lutheran Liturgy and Hymnody by M. DeGarmeaux) (107k)
The Path of Understanding -- The Development
of Lectionaries and their use in the Lutheran Church (by the Rev.
- THE THIRD WEEK IN LENT
- Jesus is led bound to the house of Annas and Caiaphas
- LÆNGE HAFVER SATAN SPUNDET* 
- tune: Freu dich sehr
- 1 Long has Satan long been spinning
- Bonds to wrap 'round Jesus' hands!
- Forcefully would sin be pinning
- Our dear Lord with hellish bands!
- Heaven itself is bound in chains!
- God's own Son will suffer pains!
- Now a captive He is counted
- With disgrace and shame surrounded.
- 2 See how He were from them slipping
- If He went not willingly
- Angry hands with cruelty gripping,
- Prodding, howling mockingly
- Each is full of vengeful harm
- Fearing yet for great alarm
- As a Lamb, the wolves did catch Him
- He must follow where they snatch Him.
- 3 Annas, scoundrel, was not sleeping,
- Wide awake, when they did walk
- In his house with Jesus creeping
- As a Dove before the hawk
- Then to Caiaphas they came
- Where they brought more grief and shame;
- Power and time for Him was taken,
- All with evil hatred waken.
- 4 Though the sun was still in hiding,
- Yet the Sun of righteousness,
- Jesus, takes His stand beside them,
- While they mock in wickedness,
- Now true Light has entered in
- Though their minds and hearts are dim,
- Questions of His teaching taking,
- All the while their jokes still making.
- 5 If He plainly spoke His doctrine
- Even with all gentleness
- In return would lies be spoken
- Fists be clenched in vengefulness
- Slaps upon His face they aim
- No remorse and without shame
- God must take these strikes and lashes
- From a scoundrel, made from ashes.
- 6 Justice no one here is keeping
- All true testimony blocked
- Sympathy is soundly sleeping
- Doors for mercy all are locked!
- Wanton power alone awakes
- Satan gladly torches takes
- Aged priests look on approving
- Hellish beasts, themselves but proving.
- 7 Now false witnesses are showing
- Which of them can lie the best
- Wicked ones, in number growing,
- Sit in judgement with the rest!
- Jesus' face is spit upon
- Hidden, smitten, listening on,
- As He now should guess who hit Him
- Who true justice has o'erridden.
- 8 Thus is ended this conspir'cy
- Sentencing the Lord to die
- Never dare He ask for mercy,
- Hearing how the dogs do cry;
- That He surely death had won,
- Since He called Himself God's Son!
- What He is, they think is scheming,
- So they shout with loud blaspheming.
- 9 Dear God, teach me that I never
- Bind my passions with the bands
- Which the wicked unbelievers
- Placed upon Thy heavenly hands,
- And when Satan comes to me
- With his wiles deceitfully,
- Come to me in heart and spirit
- To recall Thy bonds and merit.
- 10 If for truth's sake they now take me,
- If I'm treated scornfully,
- If they still with tongues forsake me,
- If they beat me mockingly,
- Let me still believing see
- All the scorn Thou bor'st for me
- Insult, shame, and wicked mock'ry
- For my everlasting glory.
- 11 Even if the whole world hate me
- Fitting me with heavy yoke
- Show me then Thy work to save me
- All Thy suff'ring in Thy book
- That with faith I learn to see
- How with lies they harassed Thee
- Fie, then all who speak with evil
- Fie, then all who serve the devil!
- 12 Though they still with death may threaten
- Heaping me with sore disgrace
- Let me see, -my soul enlighten-
- All the patience on Thy face,
- When the judgement came on Thee,
- And Thou hadst no way to flee;
- So may all Thy pain and sighing
- Calm me in my fear of dying.
Send comments to: email@example.com